1.11.15

Discovering Brandon Sanderson: Steelheart


Hello, there!

For my first article, I chose my most recent read and that's Steelheart, by Brandon Sanderson. It's my new favorite book, at least until I finally get Queen of Shadows and read it.

Brandon Sanderson was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, the United States, and he's the one people has been calling "the new king of fantasy". And damn, he is.
He's written many books already. Some better, some worse, but from what I've heard, they're all just amazing.

Steelheart is the first book in the Reckoners trilogy, and it's about a young man, David Charleston, who lives in Chicago. It's not the same Chicago we know, it's Chicago Nova.
In this changed world, there are some people who have extraordinary powers. They call them Epics. One of them is supposed to be unvulnerable, and he's the one who took over the city. His name is Steelheart, and David is the only one who has seen him bleed.


" Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.
Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart - the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning - and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge. "
 Okay guys, that was the end of the non-spoilers part of this post. Read the damn book, you'll love it! When you do, you can come back and read the rest of the post.
Really, don't spoil yourself. I gave this book five stars on Goodreads. I never do that. Well, hardly ever. So, DON'T SPOIL YOURSELF. Seriously, read. The. Book.

To all of you who didn't read the book, goodbye! I hope you liked my first post. My name's Malena and I'll post every Sunday (or maybe Saturday), and might post in another day sometime.
xoxo








You read the book! Please tell me you have the second book in e-book edition. Could you please send it to me?? Pleeeeeaaase??

Okay, now seriously. I had heard so many beautiful things about this author, and this being one of his more known books I borrowed it from the public library near my house. I got into my car, opened the book, read those 15 pages the editor wrote about Brandon and Steelheart, and I knew it was going to be great but I still had my doubts.
Then I read "Prologue", and start feeling excited. And then...

"I've seen Steelheart bleed"

I swear I shouted "Oh my fucking God I love it!!!". I even scared my mom.

Let's go for parts. I loved the prologue, the way it was narrated, the point of view of that little boy watching as so many unbelievable, terrifying things happened. Watching his father die, trying to defend Steelheart. I freaking loved it.
Then his plan to find the Reckoners, Megan, the Epic, Fortuity... The Reckoners. They're just awesome. Cody, and the Professor, and Tia and Abraham. Their personalities, the little fights, the conflicts you can see between them, the different thoughts and points of view though they all fight for the same goal.
You know the way he gets excited when he is talking about the Epics? He starts dropping information and talking non-stop. It reminded me of myself with mithologies. Greek, Norse, Egiptian, Roman some from Asia. I'm still learning, but still. I loved that.
The plan, the weapons, the attack to the electricity central, Conflux. Conflux is amazing.
Also, Nightwielder and the way David got proof of his weakness at Diamond's place. I was so sure something bad was about to happen with that scene, it kept me on my toes for a couple chapters.

Actually, I was on my toes the whole book. I started reading it at 11am and finished it at night. At about 0 or 1am. I mean, I can't even. It was amazing, and the last hundred pages my nose was basically buried inside the book and I wouldn't stop reading. I went to the toilet with the book, had a shower with the book (do not ask how). I am not kidding, this really happened.

Megan. Megan is just... Megan. Really? I just- The books I like the most, are books with plot-twists and I love books that surprise me. Books that are plot a inside a plot inside a plot. That's what I try to write, because a woman I really admire told me once "write what you want to read", and that's so hard to find. But Brandon Sanderson kind of does it.
He's got a gift for surprising you.

There's a book I love, that you start reading it and understanding what it's about and stuff, and then BUM! I won't say more because I'd ruin it. Anything else but BUM! would ruin it. Any warning, any insinuation would ruin it. It just BUM!s your head. Hahahahaha. I might write about it sometime. It's Code Name: Verity, and don't pay attention to the synopsis. It's just awesome.

I think I'll leave it there, I don't want to say more. Please don't comment spoilers! You can always talk to me to my email, I check it regularly (malenasolwinderbaum@gmail.com).
xoxo


0 megjegyzés:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Purple Turtle Webmagazine
| Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates